- Choose an educational disability that you are interested in.
- Consider what you have learned about this disability in class readings.
- Think of a movie, television show, or online video in which this disability is portrayed in some way. How is the disability characterized?
- Find a research article that studied this disability and refers to this characterization.
- Write an informative paper in which you describe the study's purpose, methods, and findings.
- To help your reader understand the article, use examples from the movie/television/video you thought of.
Think about it like this...
- You are interested in autism.
- You learned in class that people with autism have difficulty understanding other people's feelings.
- You saw the movie, "Rain Man" with Dustin Hoffman, and he did not seem to understand his brother's feelings.
- You decide to look for a study about autistic people and empathy.
- You search PsycINFO, and you find an interesting article that reports on a study about autism and empathy.
- You write your paper, summarizing the purpose, methods, and findings of the study and using specific examples from "Rain Man" to clarify your points.
Caution: You may not use this example in your paper!