Think about it like this...
- You are interested in autism.
- You learned in class that people with autism have difficulty understanding other people's feelings.
- You saw the movie, "Rain Man" with Dustin Hoffman, and he did not seem to understand his brother's feelings.
- You decide to look for a study about autistic people and empathy.
- You search PsycINFO, and you find an interesting article that reports on a study about autism and empathy.
- You write your paper, summarizing the purpose, methods, and findings of the study and using specific examples from "Rain Man" to clarify your points.
Caution: You may not use this example in your paper!