During the COVID-19 pandemic, you may encounter problems when studying/working online.
Some of the common problems are:
• Slower than usual connections to websites.
• Frozen browser for no apparent reason.
• Audio/video delays and/or skipping when playing streaming video.
• When attempting to view a video/DVD on Zoom, users get a gray screen.
Some of the possible reasons are:
• There is too much traffic on the network that your browser is trying to connect to.
• Other people in the same household are using the Internet at the same time.
• Your Internet service has poor coverage.
• Your Internet data plan is limited.
• Gray screen in Zoom sometimes indicates copy protection.
Some of the possible solutions are:
• Close any unneeded applications that might be using some of your available bandwidth.
• Change the time of day you access academic networks; early morning and very late night seem to have less traffic.
• For issues related to streaming video:
o Go to “Settings” in your video player and change the “Quality” from 480p to 240p.
o This quality change reduces the bandwidth needed to play the video.
• Call your Internet provider and ask if/how you can improve your coverage.
• Use a hotspot (ask ITS about this) as a work-around to using your Internet provider.
• Take your laptop to the CSUSB campus parking garage and login to the campus Wi-Fi.
• Add more data to your Internet plan.
• Use a VLC media player as a work-around for gray screen. Download VLC player here.