Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Printable PDF COMM 6000 Resources Guide
A printable version of the LibGuide.
- When searching databases, choose one keyword or key phrase for each concept you want to find. Think of synonyms or related terms, in case your first choice of keywords is not successful.
- Remember that the search is for the word you typed, not the idea you meant; a minor change to one word in search can have a major effect on the results.
- Once you have some results, click on a title to read the abstract, or brief summary, of the article.
- Some articles will have the Full Text attached. For others, use the Search for Full Text button to find out if the library has access to the article.
- If an article you want is not available from the library, use the Interlibrary Loan option to request a copy; this is handled entirely online and usually takes about three working days.
“PsycINFO is the largest resource devoted to peer-reviewed literature in behavioral science and mental health. It contains over 3 million records and summaries with one of the highest DOI matching rates in the publishing industry. Includes materials selected from around 2,500 periodicals in dozens of languages.”
Social Sciences Citation Index (SSCI)
Social Sciences Citation Index is a scholarly database broadly covering the disciplines of the social sciences. Useful to limit by Web of Science category “Communication.” Especially useful to sort by “Times Cited” for the most discussed articles by other scholars. Using the “Cited References” and “Times Cited” to start chasing.
Linguistics & Language Behavior Abstracts (LLBA)
Linguistics & Language Behavior Abstracts (LLBA) abstracts and indexes the international literature in linguistics and related disciplines in the language sciences. The database covers all aspects of the study of language including phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax and semantics. Complete coverage is given to various fields of linguistics including descriptive, historical, comparative, theoretical and geographical linguistics. The database provides abstracts of journal articles and citations to book reviews drawn from over 1,500 serials publications, and also provides abstracts of books, book chapters, and dissertations.
Oxford Reference Online Premium
For background information, such as a brief paragraph or essay on communication theories or a specific theory’s explanation. Useful to limit “Refine by Subject” = “Media studies.”
Indexing hundreds of top communication journals, magazines and other sources covering all related disciplines, including media studies, linguistics, speech pathology, rhetoric, and discourse. Free trial. AVAILABLE ONLY THROUGH JUNE 2021.